Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Indie vs. Major.

From day one of "major" labels there has always been an underdog in the music industry. We call these underdogs "independent" (indie) labels. Ususally in major label companys the producer of the musician tries to assert a good amount of pressure on to the artist to get a particular sound in which the label thinks the mainstream audience would like to hear. While indie labels tend to prefer to let the artist produce their own project and create their own unique sound. Indie artists are also usually focused on making music not trying to please one particular crowd.

When an artist usually switches to a major label company it does not always guarantee success. Only about 10 percent of the cds produced help the label company itself in profit. While working with an indie label company is usually on a smaller operation and can sometimes not have the resources to get the artist's project out in the world/venues desired. Often times though the labels work together. Major labels rely on indie labels to keep current with the changing music scene and help find local musical talent.

However all of these definitions I have presented to you have all been technical terms now allow me to give you my own opinion.

I have not always been an Indie fan. I went through middle school only wanting to listen to the "cool" kid music. I was part of the mainstream crowd and only cared about a good beat to the song and had no care for the lyrics. Times have changed though and I have grown mature (musically that is) to have a taste for all different forms for music. I am not trying to bash all the popular music now. I often catch myself dancing alone and in my bedroom to the snazy tunes of mtv, but my primary musical taste is indie/alternative. I promote Indie artists for their daring risks and individual sound. Their want to change the sound and bring to the table a unique perspective on music has my upmost admiration. Every time I get online it seems I am discovering a new sound as well as a few more good artists.

1 comment: